You can download the full PDF of “Tips for Performing Financial Transactions Safely Online” with all the tips we have posted over the past couple of weeks at the CNB website.
6. Protect Your Mobile Device
- Treat your mobile device with the same care to security as you would your computer at home
- Keep your operating system up-to-date
- Keep your mobile device in your sight
- Turn off Bluetooth when not in use
- Use available malware and anti-virus apps
- Download apps from reputable app stores
- It is a good idea to password protect your mobile device
5. Monitor Your Account Activity
- Utilize Online Banking and Mobile Banking to monitor your account activity
- Set-up account alerts by email and text message
- Request a credit report to detect potential fraud
- Each year, you’re entitled to one free credit report from each of the major U.S. Credit Bureaus: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion
- Visit www.annualcreditreport.com to get this free report
3. Look For Signs a Website is Legitimate
- Before entering any personal information, check to see if the web address is secure by looking for https and a padlock; the padlock may be in the address bar or in the lower right hand corner of the screen.
- Make sure you’re at the correct site by looking for a green address bar; below are examples of this from CNB’s website:
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Apple Safari
Tip #2. Create Strong Passwords
- Mix combinations of words, digits, and special characters
- Use different passwords
- You should not use the same password for multiple accounts. If one of your online accounts is hacked, that single password could be used by hackers to access other accounts you have, like a bank account.
- Be creative
- Don’t use obvious passwords like birth dates, phone numbers, family member’s names, or anything else directly related to your life. Be creative and choose passwords that are not easy to guess.
- Don’t write your password down
Over the next few days we will be posting tips on performing financial transactions safely online.
Tip #1. Protect Your Computer
- Keep all your software, including internet browsers, up-to-date by using automatic updating
- Install and use legitimate anti-virus and anti-spyware software
- Keep your firewall turned on
- Password protect your wireless router
Kaye Cannon has been selected as the CNB Employee of the Month for March 2012. Kaye serves as a Branch Operations Manager for our Marshall office and is the Eastern Region Teller Coach. Kaye’s technical expertise along with her dedication to her work and to her employees is well known, and she is very deserving of this Employee of the Month honor.